Sabtu, 16 Februari 2013

Should I Love ‘English’?



“It’s time for English Class.”
“Haaaiiiiiiish…”
I think that’s a common expression of some learners when it comes to the words ‘Learning English’. No wonder if many, even most students hate learning English since it’s not our native or original language. The amount of students who love English is not that many, I can say it’s rarely found  ^_^
There are some reasons which probably become the basic reason of those who hate English. I can mention some:

a.  It’s different from Bahasa
Of course, who doesn’t know that English is totally different from our Bahasa Indonesia. Everybody knows it, guys. Every single word in Bahasa is not the same as English. Perhaps just some adapted words are the same. To learn and memorize all new words in English is not that easy for us.
b.  Its complicating rules
Yup. Perhaps this basic reason is mostly used by English-haters. Rules or we call it GRAMMAR #Gosh! The word ‘grammar’ is just like an evil in front of English-haters and those who know English for the first time [beginner].
“We better ruuuuuuuuuuuuun….!!” [maybe like that @_@]
English has its rules for every single term, every single condition, and every single time. That’s why English Grammar book is always thick #eeeeegh!
c.  Its pronunciation
This reason is put on the second rank of ‘why we hate English’ question. The word written is TOTALLY different from the spoken one. Yes. The writing does not represent the sound. So irritating, right? I thought so! x_x
d.  It needs much time to understand
Again and again… it’s right! English can’t be learnt in only one month. It needs some months or even some years. Sooooo difficult and, again, sooooo irritating!

I’m sure, there still some reason of English-haters other than those I mentioned above. For me, of course, I don’t hate English. I was an English Department student indeed. I love English since the first time I joined English class in 4th grade of Elementary School. I love it directly. Just love it. I just thought that this language is what Syahrini said ‘SESUATU’ hehehe… Yeah, I’m sure there must be something incredible in this new language. I, surely, got insult from my classmates at that time for loving English, the subject which is hated the most by them. Whatever, it’s my preference. For loving it, I got an easy way to learn it. Thanks God!
I also do not hate English-haters as well as I do not hate Mathematics-lovers [FYI, I can’t understand Math]. It is normal to have something to be hated. Things in the world are not always pleased us, right?
However, honestly speaking, having such reasons to hate learning English will not help you at all. You surely will find some difficulties to learn it if you still have that hate feeling in your heart. I don’t ask you to love English since it doesn’t need to. I just want to ask you to not hate it that much. It isn’t because I’m as an English teacher but as a learner also. I can’t understand Arabic but I don’t hate it, that’s why I still have some [maybe little] understanding about it.
I want you to [at least] act that way
Not hate it. Having no hate feeling doesn’t mean you love it, right? You just DON’T hate it. I have some worries if you still have that hate in heart, you will face some difficulties in learning something, English especially. If you think that English is different from our Bahasa, why don’t you think,
“Yeah, it’s different, that’s why it is needed to be learnt!”
Something different needs to be understood, just like different cultures need to be learnt  ^_^
 






Saturday, 16th of February, 2013

1 komentar: